clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rewind: Quakes complete home stand with draw against Revolution

The Quakes walked away winless for the second time in as many games on their home field Wednesday night.

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

While they managed to escape with at least a point in this instance, the Quakes faltered when it mattered most Wednesday night against the visiting New England Revolution, playing to a scoreless draw.

Captain Chris Wondolowski has not scored a goal for San Jose in nearly a calendar month, his last goal for the club came on July 31 against Houston. His scoring drought has seemed to have plagued the rest of the team's offense — San Jose have scored just two goals for the entire month of August, thus far.

Adding insult to injury, the Revs marched into Avaya Stadium having dropped four of their last five matches and conceding 13 goals along the way.

A minuscule statistic to consider, if you factor in the fact San Jose rank among Major League Soccer's top five lowest-scoring clubs. The Revs, too, rank in the top five of the same category. The lack of command was seen on the pitch during the first half, where neither team managed to get a shot on target.

In fact, the multitude of the first half offense came from the Revs' leading goal-scorer, Kei Kamara. In the 44th minute, he nearly snuck the ball by Bingham, but the young goalkeeper made a diving save to keep the score level. It would be the only save by either goalie for the duration of the opening frame.

Regardless of how the box score might read, Quakes manager Dominic Kinnear thought his team came out looking as they should.

"I thought we started off the game pretty well," he said afterward. "Quincy's injury kind of knocked us back a little bit, and the second half .... from that point on, people could just see we were kind of in between and it was getting frustrating."

The second half Kinnear is referring to would be the work, once again, of Kamara — after beating his marker out cleanly in the 60th minute, the 31-year-old found himself streaking into Bingham with a fair angle — his shot bounced just off the right goalpost.

Just moments before, Anibal Godoy nearly put San Jose on the board in the 50th minute — on a breakaway, he appeared to be off to the races until his body fell to the ground from an apparent cramping issue.

San Jose wouldn't see their first shot find the target until the 76th minute, when Henok Goitom was brought into the game in place of Chad Barrett. It took Goitom roughly 30 seconds after arriving into the game to find the target.

Kinnear chimed in on the matter of why Goitom still hasn't recorded his first start for the club since joining.

"My decision was with 60 minutes, I didn't know if he'd be able to last [60 minutes], so I went with Chad [Barrett] who I thought was a little bit fitter."

After announcing he might tinker with the starting lineup a bit, the only change came in the form of Simon Dawkins being reinserted into the lineup after returning from injury.

As the final whistle blew, fans began filing out of Avaya Stadium while at the same time making their loud boos heard, the first instance this reporter has ever witnessed such an event in the life of the newly constructed soccer cathedral. Kinnear took notice to the booing as well, he offered a simple remedy to the situation.

"Winning," he said.

A possible silver lining to the night's happenings? Goalkeeper David Bingham once again posted a clean sheet performance, his sixth of the season. His is tied for third-best in the league in the category.