clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Report: San Jose Earthquakes sign Dutch forward Danny Hoesen, German defender Florian Jungwirth

Respective European clubs announce that transfers to Quakes are complete

Manchester City v Dynamo Dresden - Preseason Friendly
German midfielder/defender Florian Jungwirth is headed to San Jose
Photo by Johannes Simon/Getty Images

As the winter transfer window closes in Europe, two players that the San Jose Earthquakes have targeted are reported to have completed deals to move to MLS.

Dutch forward Danny Hoesen, who first surfaced as a candidate to join the Quakes a few weeks ago, will join San Jose on a one-year loan deal with an option to buy following the conclusion of the 2017 MLS season, according to FC Groningen general director Hans Nijland.

“The transition of Danny Hoesen to the San Jose Earthquakers in America is final,” Nijland said in his weekly address on the club’s website. “The MLS club in California leases the striker for the rest of this calendar year, i.e. until 31 December 2017. San Jose Earthquakes has an option to buy at Hoesen after this season.”

Hoesen, who recently turned 26 years old, has played in the top flight of Dutch soccer for parts of four seasons. He turned professional at the age of 17 when he signed with Fulham of the English Premier League. Hoesen played for the Dutch national team at the U-17 and U-21 levels, but he has not been capped by the senior team.

With FC Groningen the season, Hoesen has scored four goals in nine appearances in league play, adding another goal in cup competition. Since joining Groningen in 2014, the 6’1” forward has tallied 13 times in 56 total matches across all competitions, including a goal in the 2015-16 Europa League.

The other reported transfer involves German midfielder/defender Florian Jungwirth, who emerged as a Quakes candidate late last week. The 28-year-old has played with SV Darmstadt since 2014, but in recent months made it clear to head coach Torsten Frings that he sought a transfer to MLS. The club confirmed earlier today that Jungwirth had been released from the last months of his contract, clearing his way to join the Earthquakes.

"We have promised Flo from the start that he can go if we find a suitable alternative, which is the case,” said Frings in a statement on the Darmstadt website, “so we decided to give him the release, and I wish Flo all the best for his future.”

Jungwirth has earned caps at all levels of the German youth soccer hierarchy, but he never appeared for the senior team. He signed his first contract in 2007 with TSV 1860 Munich and has played his entire professional career in Germany, including since 2014 with Darmstadt, who with he has made 64 appearances.

"I would like to thank the people responsible for making this move possible, who have kept their word, and I am sorry for the end of the year,” said Jungwirth on the club’s website. “I also wish the Lilies all the best, and I will always remember my time here."

While the Earthquakes have yet to confirm either move, GM Jesse Fioranelli stated on Saturday that the club would make a couple player acquisitions in the coming week. Another name that is still in contention is Albanian midfielder Jahmir Hyka, but sources indicate that the details of his transfer to San Jose have not been settled.