While most of the San Jose Earthquakes were opening up preseason camp this weekend, defender Marcos Lopez was in Colombia, playing for Peru in their 2020 Olympics South American qualifying opener against Brazil on Sunday. Given the opponent, it was a tough day at the office, although Peru lost “only” 1-0, Paulinho scoring the winner just before halftime.
Lopez was the starting left back and came out of the game just after the hour mark, with Peru chasing the game. The top two teams in each group go to the final stage, with two berths at the Tokyo Olympics this summer on the line. Peru’s next clash will be Saturday against Paraguay, Los Incas getting a matchday two bye on Wednesday because the groups are five teams each.
More news for your Tuesday morning:
- Noted Niners fan Carlos Fierro: Rob Lowe was the viral star of the San Francisco 49ers’ big win over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, but between Matt Bersano and Tommy Thompson wishing the Niners well before the game and Carlos Fierro being at the game, wearing a Niners jersey, the Quakes were pulling for their fellow Bay Area side this weekend. Can the Super Bowl magic rub off on the Quakes in 2020?
- “Important announcement” coming: The Quakes have announced they will announce an important announcement on Wednesday, per Robert Jonas. The scuttlebutt is it will be a new name for the stadium, after the Avaya Stadium sign was literally carried away, but we’ll see.
- Draft analysis: Colin Etnire has a good breakdown of the Quakes’ MLS Draft over at Quakes Epicenter. The gist? The team may have found some real value with their picks.
- Simon Dawkins looks back: The former Quakes DP looked back at his whole career in a feature at The Athletic, and there are plenty of juicy tidbits in there about his time in San Jose. Above all, the English-Jamaican lost his mother in 2015 and he still sounds haunted by her death. Here’s hoping he can find some peace.
- Galaxy sign Chicharito: It’s going to dominate the news cycle, whether you like it or not, but the LA Galaxy have officially signed Chicharito. Will he be the latest Galaxy star to suffer a crushing Stanford Stadium defeat in the California Clasico? Stay tuned.
Today’s question: It’s an easy one — who will be the Quakes’ leading scorer in 2020? Leave a comment below, let’s chat!