Marcos Lopez continued his run in the South American Olympic qualifying tournament on Tuesday, starting and playing the full 90 for Peru in their 1-0 loss to Uruguay. Francisco Ginella had the game’s only goal, in the 11the minute.
The loss is a setback for Peru, sitting on three points with one matchday left in group play, but hope is not lost, as a multigoal win over Bolivia plus some help from the other team fighting for second place, Paraguay, means hope remains alive for them to advance. It won’t be easy, but it could happen. Stay tuned.
More news for your Wednesday:
- Kit leak? The official jersey drops around MLS for teams that haven’t already revealed theirs is next week, but Todo Sobre Camisetas released a batch of jersey leaks on Wednesday. The Quakes’ secondary look is...interesting here.
San Jose Earthquakes away y Seattle Sounders home pic.twitter.com/NG6ilrDate— Todo Sobre Camisetas (@EleteTSC) January 29, 2020
- Personally, think the chest stripe is pretty good, I know it’s controversial but believe it’s nice to have a bit of continuity between the primary and secondary kits. The yellow ray looks like it’s related to the city flag, it’s intriguing and may frame the new sponsor well but is pretty different. We’ll see when the official thing is revealed!
- Wondo does get a cake! I joked yesterday that on Chris Wondolowski’s birthday, he would be given exactly 50 grams of birthday cake in Cancun. Turns out, he got more than that, but he did the selfless thing and asked his teammates to share it. Awwwwwwwww.
- Alanis official: The Quakes made Oswaldo Alanis’ signing official on Tuesday, adding him on loan from Chivas for a year with a possibility to extend the move. Alanis joined the team dinner where Wondo got his cake. The duo sat together, the jokes about Alanis and Wondo looking like brothers can ramp up now that they’re teammates.
- More preseason birthdays: It’s apparently Vako’s birthday, who’s 27 today, as well as Luis Felipe, who is 24 years old. How much birthday cake will they get? Will they be given a joint cake? Will they go for gelatina instead, to mix it up a bit? We’ll see.
Today’s question: With Oswaldo Alanis added, what else are you looking for on your roster wishlist this preseason for the Quakes? Let’s chat in the comment section below!